9.06.2010

FiveFingers


"The benefits of running barefoot have long been supported by scientific research, coaches, and athletes who’ve offered ample evidence that training without shoes allows you to run faster and farther with fewer injuries.

Motion studies demonstrate that when running barefoot, one naturally lands on the forefoot, directly below your center of gravity. This results in optimum balance, increased stability, less impact, and greater propulsion. According to Dr. Ivo Waerlop of the Vibram Biomechanics Advisory Board, “Running in FiveFingers improves agility, strength, and equilibrium, plus it delivers sensory feedback that allows runners to make immediate corrections in their form. This greatly improves running efficiency.”

No footwear comes closer to recreating the experience and natural sensation of running barefoot than Vibram® FiveFingers. It delivers all the health and performance benefits of barefoot running—with less the risk of injury. Our patented Vibram® sole acts like a second skin to protect you from elements and obstacles, so you can reap the rewards of barefoot running.

When you go barefoot, your movements become the movements of a child—playful and sensitive, yet purposeful and confident. You experience the unbound joy of stepping, hopping, and running across any surface on earth, simply to get from here to there.

Vibram FiveFingers® allow you to relive that sensation. Unlike conventional shoes that insulate you from your surroundings, FiveFingers footwear deepens your connection to the earth and your surroundings. FiveFingers enhance your sense of touch and feel, while improving foot strength, balance, agility, and range of motion. Because wearing Vibram FiveFingers is so close to going barefoot, you’ll enjoy the health and performance benefits of barefooting without some of the risks."

Sounds like a lot of fun and a great marketing pitch. Over the summer I read the book Born to Run and it got me thinking about running and equipment, etc. It really advocates for barefoot running and a sort of counter culture to the modern running phenomenon. During cross country in high school we had weekly barefoot runs and I always loved being barefoot. So last week I caved and splurged on a essentially a fancy - heavy duty pair of toe socks, and love them! I have been wearing them everywhere, the library, the gym and I even fell asleep with them on the other night. I have had a lot of people ask me questions about them when I am in public and have never seen them before, or people just staring at my feet. They are definitely not the most popular shoes for 19 year-olds, but they are worth all the questions and harassment from my friends because they are soo comfortable!


****************


I have been running with them for about a week now, they are awesome to run in. I did not mention this before but the ones the purchased are the FiveFingers Bikila. These are made for running and fitness with a thicker sole and some arch support. One compliant is so far, smaller uneven surfaces are more challenging. I am clumsy, but I trip and stumble more. I think this is part of the process of getting used to them. Also, my running step is much louder when my foot hits the ground. Finally, I love sprinting in them, I feel so fast and what runner does not love that!

3 comments:

  1. What model of Vibram did you use in this article? I love Vibrams and I'm fun of customizing its colors. I have several collections of each model here - http://bit.ly/53Z38Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are beyond ridiculous looking! i think ive only seen them once here, but would consider wearing them especially since my knees hurt when i run distance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_KSO_f.cfm?CFID=4339019&CFTOKEN=75283356

    They are the FiveFingers KSO.

    The ones I purchased are the FiveFingers Bikila
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_bikila_f.cfm
    Mine are simply red and grey. I wish they were this colorful.

    ReplyDelete