2.28.2011

Export jobs, export values?

My new simplicity binge has gotten me thinking about consumer products and how they're made.  I rarely look at a a thing and visualize the process of how it gained it thing-ness.  To separate a thing from its production process has become the norm.  When I look at my DROID, I don't visualize the factory floor and a working assembling all the different pieces.

Check out this article at Technology Review.  It's almost hypnotizing to watch the process of coloring the silicon (about 6mins in the first linked video clip).

If we export jobs and the processes of making our own goods, should we also export our culturally-held beliefs about workers' rights?  The extension of this argument, which the article didn't cover, is whether exporting jobs would be as economically advantageous under such measures.

No comments:

Post a Comment