4.30.2010

One Shoulder Dolmen?

I really want to find a one shoulder dress for this summer. I found this Alice + Olivia one and I love the color! When I saw the name of the dress I was very confused because all my SAT prep had taught me dolmen meant a tomb or something. Dark name for a cute dress. The name kept bothering me and I figured I was wrong and eventually I googled the word(dolmen) and realized that the dress was a dolman, not dolmen. HUGE difference(good thing I am done with the SAT's), anyways the history of a dolman is interesting so I decided to share it from Wiki.

"A dolman is also an outer garment worn by ladies, with wide cape like arrangements instead of sleeves. It was a favourite style of mantle worn by fashionable women in the 1870s and 80's.

A dolman sleeve is a sleeve set into a very low armseye; in fact, the armseye may extend to the waistline, in which case there will be no underarm seam in the blouse. Dolman sleeves were very popular in ladies clothing during the Civil War. They had the effect of making the shoulders look sloped therefore minimizing the appearance of the waist."





$298.00

I liked the band around the waist, many of these dresses are straight down and sometimes not flattering for most girls. This little extra gives you shape. The blood orange color is fun and you will stand out. I was thinking you could even add a different color around the waist if you wanted to wear this multiple times and maybe get a different look.



So there you go, the history of the dolman, not be be confused with a dolmen. Appropriate name for this cute dress in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment