11.08.2010

Miss Manners: Common Courtesy

So we're not too focused on clothes right now...girl has got to embrace the REAL world at some point! HA, but not yet.  But onto a more classy-centric topic...Basic Courtesy...DUN DUN DUN...

My friend borrowed by beautiful LBD and then the hem fell out.  I don't know if the hem was already falling out, then she wore it and hem destruction was finally complete. The order of events doesn't actually matter. She may have not noticed when she returned the dress, and I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. I forgot to tell her, but even as an outspoken friend, I would feel (just a bit!) awkward asking her to fix my hem.

Case Study 2: We borrow our friend's car all the time and so last time I told my two other car-less friends that we were filling up her tank as a token of our lovely, sincere and deserved gratitude. One of them hasn't given me money and the other gave me sass as the numbers ticked upwards on the gas pump. I didn't feel the need to remind them that zipcar costs 8 bucks an hour. But I probably should have. Sometimes though I like to leave certain things unsaid and count on others' common sense, which on further thought may not include quick economic calculations.

I used to think that  gestures of courtesy are merely superfluous. Mind changed. Sometimes, courtesy is showing that you care, even if caring equals just the thought of caring.  I can't take my friend up on her offer to hem my dress, if she never offered.

No comments:

Post a Comment