3.28.2010

Is it worth it??



Last week, I found myself following my youngest sister in the 90° heat, under hundreds of tarps orienteering the maze of the St. Thomas flea market. This market is full of knock- off bags, jewelry, clothing, bathing suits, local foods, hair braiding, and local craftsmanship. We made a special trip for my sister’s mission. Her mission: a Burberry purse for under $60. My job, convince the salesman that his fake bag is not the real deal and therefore not worth $60. I got to practice my bargaining skills and also check out the market of fake bags. I quickly became absorbed in the quest for a Burberry.

The St. Thomas Flea Market: is usually full of cruise ship junkies and people out to get a bargain on their own fake bag. This day was unique that there were no cruise ships at dock; only local tourists were out shopping that day. Navigating the market we were essentially shark bait for the tent salesmen. I am not kidding, there are at least 7 or 8 tents full of fake bags. Name a designer they will find it, if they do not have it…well that never happens. They quickly change the tag/label on a bag they do have and waaaallaahh Coach to Chanel. Best magic tricks EVER! (A family friend picked up one of these tags that she found on the ground and handed it to the tent owner and he acted so surprised and could not figure out where they would come from with all these luxury bags around, I was containing my laughter)

My sister continued the search through countless tents and salesmen hackling us. Finally, we entered Burberry Tentland. She found what she was looking for an entire bad covered Burberry plaid, leather inside, cute pockets and a bucket-like shape. Perfect, just what she wanted, her new backpack and basically a gymbag. I have to admit, it is a cute bag, but SCREAMS fake Burberry. It’s fine she is like 12, she is allowed to rock it and I give it to her. (Disclaimer: 7th grade first Louis Vuitton fake and my Chanel; both I believed were the real deal)

These salesmen could lie so much about their products and the qualities, it makes you wonder how much that happens with items we actually do believe are of a higher quality. Does lowering the price when both the consumer and seller acknowledge this (or even just the seller); does that allow the whole transaction to occur with everyone ignoring the obvious fallacies? I think this can be said about other products on the many markets today. Lincoln is a sticker change on most Ford models; Cadillac is a sticker change on must GM models, Lexus and Toyota the list only goes on. These cars are essentially fake bags in the car world. Are the car sales men equivalent to the tent salesmen? This can also be said about food. Organic produce and conventional produce, it’s exactly the same nutritionally only difference the price. Generic or name brand? Just like the bags, the cars, our food and many other things. Where am I going with this, I don’t really know just all kinds of ideas in my head about salesmen, and labels.

After pondering all these pointless thoughts, I walked away feeling extremely good about myself, satisfied that the fake bag man told me I knew my purses and my sister got her extremely fake looking Burberry print bag; which she loves as a real. The mission was a success and it was off for more real shopping in St. Thomas!

1 comment:

  1. it's not.

    i hate the idea of knock-off's! i know, i know...shes only twelve of whatever, but still. and i doubt the interior or anything is real leather. my huge thing, is you never know what you are ultimately supporting when buying black market goods. and in the case of fake designer goods, it is sometimes terrorism-linked organizations.

    but i cant believe the salesmen assert they're the real deal...do they do that on canal street too? i've never bothered to ask, but know i wonder how those stealthy street vendors would respond.

    ReplyDelete